How Pilates Exercises Can Improve Your Performance in Other Sports and Activities
When you hear the word “Pilates”, you might picture lean women and celebrities doing core exercises. If you are a fitness fanatic, you might think that it is easy. While some exercises can be easier than others, it only takes one class to realise that Pilates can be quite intense. Luckily, the more you do it, and the stronger you become, and the easier each individual exercise will be.
A big benefit of doing Pilates is developing a strong core. Having a strong core will help you in so many areas of life, such as balance, strength, and even confidence. Not only that, but it can also help improve your performance in other physical activities and sports. There are very few sports where a strong core does not benefit your athletic performance. Here are a few sports where a strong core is essential.
- Yoga: You do not have to choose between yoga and Pilates. In fact, the two work very well together. There are, however, some yoga poses that one cannot do without a strong core. Have you tried to stay in boat pose with your legs extended? It makes you want to sign up for Pilates class!
- Tennis and golf: In order to produce maximum velocity and force when hitting the ball, tennis and golf players need core strength. Your stability on the tennis court and golf course will improve as your core strength improves.
- Rugby: If you are a rugby player, core strength can enable you to resist falling down when tackled and allow you to stay strong and grounded. It will also help you to tackle your target with extra force and thus build your strength and endurance.
How Pilates Improves Performance
- Pilates can also improve your overall physical performance, regardless of whether you do a sport or not, here are two examples:
- It prevents injuries: This sport helps you with balance, stability, and maintaining proper form, and thus helps to prevent injuries. This might result in you having to take time off to recover and heal, or you having to give up your favourite sport forever. Thus, prevention is key.
- Fewer wasted movements: Improving your ability to stay balanced while playing sports will also eliminate any wasted movements, allowing you to react quicker and play faster. Having a lack of core strength makes it more difficult to transfer any power through your lower and upper body, which in turn makes it easier to lose balance.
If you are interested in improving your physical performance, sign up for classes today! We can help you develop the strength and stability you need in order to excel.